Banasura Sagar Dam Wayanad Entry Fee
- 40 per person for Adults
- 20 per person for Children
- 1000 for 5 persons for speed boating charge
- 450 per couple for coracle ride
- 300 per person for ziplining
- 15 per person for one way shuttle
- 25 per person for two way shuttle
- 10 Parking charges per vehicle
- 20 for Still Camera
Banasura Sagar Dam Wayanad Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 11 reviews
Banasura Sagar Dam Wayanad Address: Banasura Sagar Dam, Padinjarathara, Kerala, 673575, India
Banasura Sagar Dam is a picturesque tourist hotspot in Wayanad. Its sprawling reservoir of clear water is surrounded by lush green hills and it’s dotted with tiny islands. Banasura Sagar is a photographer’s delight, and it’s one of the most spellbinding places to visit in Wayanad.
The speciality of Banasura Sagar Dam is that it’s the largest earthen dam in India. Mounds of stones and boulders have been placed together to form a strong embankment.
Banasura Sagar Dam is built across River Karamanathodu, a tributary of River Kabini. The dam, its reservoir and the small islands, against the backdrop of a majestic hill, form a calming visual. It’s an enchanting treat to the eyes.
Trekking is the top attraction at Banasura Sagar Dam in Wayanad. Adventure enthusiasts love to trek in the nearby dark forests to reach the peak. The view of the expansive reservoir from the top is surreal.
Other adventure activities in Banasura Sagar include speed boating, horse riding and camel riding. Then you can also try ziplining.
Where is Banasura Sagar Dam in Wayanad?
Banasura Sagar Dam is on the foothills of Banasura hills, around 20 km away from Wayanad. It was built to meet the water demand for irrigation and drinking. And it’s a beautiful tourist destination you must visit in Wayanad.
Image Gallery of Banasura Sagar Dam Wayanad
Things to do at Banasura Sagar Dam
1. Enjoying a family picnic – Banasura Sagar Dam is an ideal picnic spot for nature lovers. Walk up to the viewpoint (or take the shuttle) to see the entire landscape at a glance. You'll also see the islands enveloped in thick, green foliage, against the backdrop of majestic hills. And in the evenings, you get a spectacular sunset over the green mountains. It’s mesmerising.
2. Boating in the reservoir – Speed boating is another activity you can enjoy at Wayanad Banasura Sagar Dam. Zooming across the vast expanse of crystal-clear waters, and making your way between the islands, is an experience you don’t want to miss. Other Banasura Sagar Dam water sports include coracle riding and kayaking.
3. Trekking to Banasura Peak – Trekking at Banasura Sagar is popular among adventure enthusiasts. The trek to the peak is therapeutic, during which you can witness the beauty of the Western Ghats and the lush greenery around. And at the end, an exotic panoramic view awaits you. The trek also gives you a chance to spot flora and fauna of the region.
4. Having fun in the park – The dam has a small garden and activity area nearby. Traditional tree swings, bumper car rides and video games are available here. Other adventure activities at Banasura Sagar Dam are horse riding, camel riding and ziplining across the lake. The place is also famous for its fish spa.
5. Relaxing in the resort – To enjoy your visit to the fullest, book your stay in Banasura Hill Resort nearby. It has several accommodation options, including rooms built of baked clay, log huts and villas. It has an in-house spa and a full-service restaurant for guests. And you also get to enjoy a view of the landscape and several adventure activities and trekking expeditions.
Banasura Sagar Dam Timings and Entry Fee
The dam is open throughout the year, on all days of the year. The visiting time is from 9 AM to 5 PM. Speed boating is operational only until 4 PM.
Banasura Sagar Dam entry fee is ₹40 per person (for adults) and ₹20 (for kids). The shuttle to the top of the dam (and back) from the entrance costs ₹15 (one way) or ₹25 (both ways). The camera fee and parking charges are extra.
Speed boating costs ₹1000 per ride (for 5 people) and coracle riding costs ₹450 per ride (for a couple). And the zipline at Banasura Sagar Dam costs ₹300 per person.
Best time to visit Banasura Sagar Dam
The best time to visit Banasura Sagar Dam Wayanad is in winter, from November to February. During winter, the weather of Wayanad is the most comfortable for exploration. Visit the dam in the evening to avoid the scorching heat.
Time to explore Banasura Sagar Dam Wayanad
You can spend around 2 hours at the dam. The place has several activities like speed boating, ziplining and a fish spa for everyone to enjoy. If you want to trek to the nearby hill, you’ll need more time at hand.
How to reach Banasura Sagar Dam Wayanad?
Banasura Sagar Dam distance from Wayanad is 20 km. The nearest bus stand is 3 km away, in Padinjarathara, and the nearest railway station is in Kozhikode (91 km away). The airport closest to it is Calicut International Airport (97 km away).
And here’s how to reach Banasura Sagar Dam in Wayanad –
By bus – You’ll find buses from Kalpetta to Padinjarathara and towards the dam. They’ll drop you close to the entrance gate.
By taxi/cab – The most comfortable way to visit Banasura Sagar Dam is by booking a cab or taxi. You can book a cab from the top car rental companies in Wayanad for the day and visit the dam and other nearby tourist places.
Make the most of your trip by booking a Wayanad tour package with Wayanad Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA. To know more about our offerings, please fill the Contact Us form.