Pookode Lake Wayanad Entry Fee
- 20 per person for Adults
- 10 per person for Children (5-12 yrs)
- 20 for Still Camera
- 150 for Video Camera
- 100 for 2 seat Pedal Boat
- 200 for 4 seat Pedal Boat
- 350 for Row Boat
Pookode Lake Wayanad Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 11 reviews
Pookode Lake Wayanad Address: Kunnathidavaka, Kerala, 673576, India
Pookode Lake in Wayanad is a freshwater lake near Kalpetta resembling the map of India. Nestled between evergreen forests, surrounded by the Western Ghats, this breathtaking lake captivates every tourist who comes to Wayanad.
Pookode Lake (or Pookot Lake), a natural freshwater lake is located in Wayanad district at an altitude of 770 meters above sea level. It is the highest altitude freshwater lake in Kerala, and with an area of 5 hectares, it is the smallest too. Pookode Lake is also the point of origination for the Panamaram River, that flows through the valley to join Kabini River.
People come to Pookode Lake for a family outing, boating and enjoying the serenity and peaceful ambience of the place. You can savour the views and watch the animals and birds coming to the lake from the surrounding forests. The lake is also home to lotuses and water lilies.
The place boasts of a freshwater aquarium, a children’s park and a handicrafts shop too.
Pookode Lake is one of the most preferred tourist destinations in Wayanad, and a favourite among nature lovers. The pleasant weather, along with the hypnotic charm of the region, is sure to make your visit a memorable experience.
Things to do in Pookode Lake Wayanad
1. Walking around the lake – Pookode Lake has a jogging track built around its bank, flanked with thick bushes and tall trees. You can take a leisurely stroll or sit on a bench clicking pictures of the lake with flowers spread over the water. You will also come across many animals, birds and butterflies around the lake.
2. Boating in the lake – Boating is the main attraction of Pookot Lake. The pedal boats and rowboats take you on a tour around the serene environment of the lake. You can watch the freshwater flowers in the lake up close, enjoy the mesmerising views of the surrounding hills and float along the fishes in the sea. Pookode Lake is the home to Pethia pookodensis fishes, found only here.
3. Checking out the aquarium – The freshwater aquarium is another attraction within the premises. Pookode Lake aquarium comprises a small display of an array of freshwater fishes.
4. Relaxing in the fish spa – Pookode Lake also has a fish spa where you can rejuvenate. Get your feet in the water for your session, relax and let the tiny fishes nibble away dead skin cells.
5. Enjoying in the park – Kids can enjoy in the adjacent children park. And adults can go horse-riding on the shores or cycling around the lake.
6. Buying souvenirs – The handicraft store at Pookode Lake entrance sells a variety of handmade items crafted from bamboo and coconut husk. The shop also has herbal medicines, spices and locally produced honey among other items.
7. Savouring local delicacies – Pookode Lake has a small cafeteria too. Here, you can buy cold drinks, ice creams, sweet corn and other freshly prepared beverages and snacks.
Pookode Lake Timings and Entry Fee
Pookode Lake opening time is 9 AM, and it closes by 5 PM. Boating timings are also from 9 AM to 5 PM, but entry closes by 4.30 PM. So, reach early if you want to enjoy boating at Pookode Lake. It is open throughout the year.
Pookode Lake entry charges are ₹20 per person for adults and ₹10 per person for kids (5-12 years old).
Additionally, you have to pay ₹20 for still camera and ₹150 for video camera. Pookode Lake boating charges are ₹100 for 2-seater pedal boats and ₹200 for 4-seater pedal boats for a 20-minute ride. Rowboats are available for hire at ₹350 for half an hour.
The fish spa at Pookot Lake costs ₹50 for a 10-minute session.
Best Time to visit Pookode Lake
The ideal time to plan a visit to Pookode Lake Kerala is in the winter season. It begins around October-November and remains until February. The weather is pleasant, the temperature is low and the views are refreshing because of the recent monsoon.
You can also visit the lake after winters, until April-May, but as the temperature rises, Pookode Lake activities become less enjoyable.
Also, it is recommended to visit Pookode Lake Wayanad during the evening hours to watch the sunset.
Image Gallery of Pookode Lake Wayanad
Time to explore Pookode Lake
Have around an hour for your visit to Pookode Lake Wayanad. You can opt to boat in the lake, go for a stroll around or relax at the shore watching the birds and monkeys. However, if you’re an avid shopper or drool over food, have extra time in hand while you come for a visit. You might like to spend an hour at the cafe or the handicraft store.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Pookode Lake
- Even if the sun shines brightly through the day, the evening breeze tends to get chilly. So, take sweaters and scarves with you.
- It rains throughout the year in Wayanad. So carry an umbrella.
- The parking spot is a few hundred metres away from the lake.
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Carry water bottles.
- Beware of monkeys.
Places to visit near Pookode Lake Kerala
1. Lakkidi View Point – It is a small viewpoint which offers a bird's-eye view of the city and the valley around. From here, you also get thrilling views of the hairpin bends, covered with mists, leading to Wayanad. Tourists visit it for the sunrise and sunset views. Lakkidi View Point is referred to as the Gateway to Wayanad, and it is a popular picnic spot too. Pookode Lake to Lakkidi View Point distance is 4 km.
2. Chain Tree – Only a few hundred metres away from Lakkidi, on the highway, you will come across a Ficus tree. It is tied to the ground with a massive steel chain, and thus, it is known as the Chain Tree. Many legends about this tree exist, and the horror stories attract tourists from different parts of the world.
3. Banasura Sagar Dam – Lying by the Banasura Hills, Banasura Sagar Dam is one of the major tourist places near Wayanad. It is built on the Karamanathodu tributary of Kabini River, and offers adventure activities like speed boating and trekking, along with the views. You will find numerous waterfalls, streams and lush green valley views as you walk towards the top of the hill. It is 28 km, from Pookode Lake to Banasura Dam.
4. Kuruva Island – Kuruva Island, or Kuruvadweep, is a group of islands in Kabini River. You can visit these islands with the help of boats and rafts, and the dense woods on the islands offer a perfect opportunity for scenic nature walks. Kuruva Island is about 950 acres large, and the forests protect a variety of flora and fauna. Natural lovers and adventure enthusiasts will love the place, and the picturesque scenery it offers. Kuruvadweep is about 30 km away from Wayanad, on the way to Sree Thirunelli Temple.
5. Thirunelli Temple – It is an ancient temple which is one of the most visited pilgrimage centres in the area. The temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu, and it is famous in Kerala and other states of the country. It is located at an altitude of 900 meters, surrounded by mountain slopes and evergreen forests. Thirunelli Temple is about 45 km away from Wayanad. It is also known as the Sahyamala Kshetram and Kashi of the South.
How to reach Pookode Lake in Wayanad?
Pookode/Pookot Lake is about 26 km away from Wayanad city. It lies on the way to Kozhikode. From the bus stop, you can hire a taxi/auto or take a bus that will drop you nearby Pookode Lake. However, the best way is to hire a private cab from top car rental companies in Wayanad to take you to Pookode Lake and all the other tourist places in Wayanad.
And here are the various ways to reach Wayanad –
By Road – A network of roads connects Wayanad from nearby towns and cities. Buses from Bangalore, Kochi, Mysore and many other places are available at regular intervals to take you to Wayanad. And you can book a private cab too for your tour.
By Rail – Wayanad doesn’t have a railway station. The nearest railway station is in Kozhikode, about 100 km away. Kozhikode railway station has trains from many parts of the country including Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. It also has regular trains from nearby cities like Kochi and Trivandrum, among others. From the railway station, you can get a bus or taxi to reach Wayanad.
By Air – The nearest airport to Wayanad is Kozhikode Calicut International Airport. It is about 100 km away from Wayanad and has many domestic and international flights. You can get a flight from major Indian cities like Delhi, Chennai and Mumbai, along with international destinations like Kuwait, Qatar, Sri Lanka and others.
Make the best of your Wayanad tour by booking a Wayanad Tour package with us. We at Wayanad Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA offer custom made packages at affordable rates and make sure you visit all the popular sightseeing places of Wayanad in the comfort of a private cab. Please fill the Contact Us form to know more about our offerings.