Uravu is a beehive of activities and a popular tourist attraction of Wayanad. It’s a social organization that promotes skill training activities and eco-tourism. And you’ll find several bamboo-processing activities on the premises.
At Uravu Wayanad, you can also explore traditional handicrafts and the natural beauty of Wayanad. The center facilitates bamboo cultivation and bamboo craft products. And it’s the best place to buy a souvenir for your Wayanad trip.
The arts and daily-use items of Uravu are much sought-after across the nation. You’ll also learn everything about bamboo cultivation.
Where is Uravu in Wayanad?
Uravu Indigenous Science and Technology Centre, as it’s officially called, is in Thrikkaipetta village. It’s about 10 km from the Kalpetta area in Wayanad. And it’s an excellent place to see how one can carry out socio-economic development while caring for natural resources.
Image Gallery of Uravu Wayanad
Things to do at Uravu Bamboo Village
1. Exploring bamboo plantations – Uravu Wayanad has a bamboo nursery that ensures the availability of raw materials for local artisans. Bamboo plants need minimum maintenance, so they’re widely grown in the village for economic value and eco-tourism purposes. The nursery has a range of bamboo species in both garden and agricultural varieties.
2. Understanding bamboo processing – Uravu bamboo factory also offers guided tours of the processing unit. You can see how raw bamboo is transformed into various handicraft items. Apart from that, visiting Uravu provides a unique opportunity to learn about bamboo cultivation and propagation techniques.
3. Taking part in craft workshops – Uravu runs custom workshops and training programs to artisans and indigenous tribes. These workshops are meant to develop the bamboo art skills of villagers and support them in their economic growth. You can also learn traditional crafts in a Uravu bamboo workshop and try making baskets, mats and other items.
4. Walking around Thrikkaipetta village – Uravu bamboo village, as Thrikkaipetta is known as, is surrounded by lush bamboo cultivations and mountains. And it offers nature walks and trekking opportunities for a glimpse of its flora and fauna and culture. And if you trek to the top of the hill nearby, you can get a sweeping view of the village and its farms.
5. Buy souvenirs from Uravu bamboo shop – Uravu Wayanad sells exclusive handmade products. Bamboo masks, lampshades and baskets are a few of those. Woven artifacts, home decor items and furniture are other Uravu bamboo products available here. Occasionally, you’ll also find items made of coconut shells and other natural materials.
Uravu Bamboo Timings and Entry Fee
Uravu bamboo center is open every day from 9.30 AM to 6.30 PM. And you can comfortably spend around 2-3 hours in the factory, workshop and Thrikkaipetta village. Visit it during winter (from November to February) when the weather in Wayanad is the best.
No entry fee is needed to visit the place.
How to reach Uravu Bamboo Wayanad?
Uravu is about 10 km away from Wayanad, in Thrikkaipetta village. The nearest bus stand is in Kalpetta (12 km away), and the railway station is in Kozhikode (85 km away). The airport closest to Uravu is Calicut International Airport (93 km away).
And here’s how to reach Uravu Wayanad –
By taxi/cab – The best way to visit Uravu Bamboo Centre is by booking a cab from the top car rental companies in Wayanad. You can book one for the whole day and explore the village at your comfort. Having a taxi/cab at your disposal also allows you ample time to visit all the other tourist places nearby.
Experience all that Wayanad offers by booking a Wayanad tour package with us. At Wayanad Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, we make sure you have a memorable holiday as you wished for. With us, you can simply relax and enjoy your vacation while we make plans right from accommodation, transfers to sightseeing. We also help you with the best places to eat and shop for a complete holiday experience. To get in touch with us, please fill the Contact Us form.