Soochipara Waterfalls (also known as Sentinel Rock Falls) is a breathtaking natural wonder amidst the lush green forests near Wayanad. It’s a must-visit destination for anyone seeking to experience Wayanad’s natural beauty in all its glory.
You can reach Soochipara Waterfalls Wayanad after a thrilling downward trek. The steep hills surrounding it offer the perfect terrain for trekking and rock climbing. It’s a refreshing retreat for adventure enthusiasts in Wayanad.
The waterfall cascades down the rocks from about 200 meters. A natural pool is formed below the falls, with cool, clear water asking you to dip in it. It’s a mesmerizing and spellbinding sight.
Surrounded by deciduous, evergreen forests, Soochipara is among the best waterfalls in the region. The winding roads amidst tea plantations also provide visitors with scenic views of the best tea estates in Wayanad.
It’s also one of the most photogenic spots for tourists in Wayanad. And it’s an excellent place for those who want to escape the hustle and bustle of city life.
Where is Soochipara Waterfalls in Wayanad?
Soochipara Waterfalls is a three-tiered waterfall at Vellarimala. It’s 35 km away from Wayanad, surrounded by dense green forests. A 2-km-long, descending trekking trail from the entrance takes you to the falls.
Things to do at Soochipara Waterfalls Wayanad
1. Trekking to the falls – Soochipara Waterfalls in Wayanad are surrounded by lush green forests and rocky terrain, making it an ideal trekking spot. The environment provides the right ambiance. You can reach the falls by trekking down from the entrance, enjoying the beauty along the way. You can hear the burbling falls as you get closer to it.
2. Swimming in the pool – This cascading waterfall forms a natural pool at its base. And the cool, clear water entices many visitors to go for a dip. Although the pool is small, you can swim and enjoy a refreshing bath. When the water level is high, you can even dive into it from the top of the waterfall.
3. Trying hands at rock climbing – Another enjoyable Soochipara Waterfalls adventure activity is rock climbing. The fall is about 200 meters high, and surrounding it are steep rocks, making it an ideal spot to grab and climb it. You can enjoy the thrill and a breathtaking view from the top.
4. Having a family picnic – Around the waterfalls and in the forests, you’ll find many spots to set your picnic base and enjoy the melodies of the greenery. Several springs and shallow pools of water are also found in the area. You can even visit the small lake on top of the fall by trekking through the forests.
5. Clicking photographs of the views – The waterfall, in its green surroundings, is picturesque, making it an excellent spot for photography. You’ll also find many tree huts in the area, providing sweeping views of the region to savour and capture.
Image Gallery of Soochipara Falls Wayanad
Wayanad Soochipara Falls Trek Details
The path to Wayanad Soochipara Waterfalls isn’t well-suited for vehicles. The best way to visit it is by trekking down from the entry point. The trail is through forests and over rocks. Stairs are also built to ease the steep descent to the falls.
- Trek starting point: Soochipara Falls parking area
- Trek length: 3-4 km (to and from the parking)
- Trek difficulty: Moderate
Soochipara Waterfalls Timings and Entry Fee
While Soochipara Waterfalls Wayanad is open 24/7 and throughout the year, it’s best to visit it during the day. The visiting time of the falls is from 9 AM to 5 PM.
Soochipara Waterfalls entry fee is ₹80 per person. Camera fee and parking charges are extra.
Best time to visit Soochipara Waterfalls Wayanad
The best time to visit Soochipara Falls is during post-monsoon and winter. It’s from October to February, when the climate is cool. It’s the ideal time for trekking and exploring the place. You can also visit the waterfall in the monsoon when it’s in full glory. But the steps and rocks are more slippery than usual during that time.
Time to explore Soochipara Waterfalls
You should have about 2 hours to enjoy the waterfalls and the surrounding views. Soochipara Waterfalls walking distance is about 2 km (one-way), and it takes about 30 minutes to cover the length.
Things to keep in mind when visiting Soochipara Waterfalls
- Elderly people should avoid the trek.
- Carry insect/mosquito-repellent creams.
- Keep hats and sunglasses.
- Wear sturdy walking shoes.
- Wear anti-leech socks.
- Drink plenty of water during the trek.
- Plastic is banned in the region.
- Plastic bottles are allowed with a deposit fee (refundable).
- Meals are arranged (at extra charge) if informed in advance.
- There are no changing/washrooms near the falls.
How to reach Wayanad Soochipara Waterfalls?
Soochipara Waterfalls is at Vellarimala, about 35 km from Wayanad. The nearest bus stand is in Meppadi, about 13 km away, and the nearest railway station is in Kozhikode (91 km away). The airport closest to Soochipara Waterfalls is Calicut International Airport (130 km away).
Now, here are the different ways to reach Soochipara Waterfalls from Wayanad –
By bus – You can take a bus from Wayanad or Meppadi to the waterfalls. The buses drop you on the main road, a kilometer away from the waterfalls. You can walk the distance or take an auto to reach your destination.
By taxi/cab – A taxi or cab is the most convenient way to reach Soochipara Waterfalls Wayanad. You can book a cab from the top car rental companies in Wayanad and enjoy a day trip to the waterfalls and other tourist places in Wayanad.